In September 2015, with my move to the University of Sheffield, I joined The Tab.
A student news website, The Tab is unique for focussing on hyperlocal issues — made possible by volunteer teams of writers and editors at more than 40 UK universities. Whilst some of the articles that The Tab runs could be considered smutty or downright controversial, it’s no coincidence that the site receives millions of weekly hits.
As well as offering a large platform, The Tab also provides training and support. I recently attended a two-day course in London, with speakers including AA Gill, Neville Thurlbeck, Helen Lewis, Harry Cole, and Andy Rudd.
I was thrilled to be crowned the national ‘Writer of the Week’ in December 2015, for my coverage of a Sheffield basement fire, as well as for my fast turnaround on a story about a woman’s body found in a stream.
A list of articles I have written:
- Sheffield beats Liverpool and Queen Mary in Complete Uni rankings
- An example of embargoed content, to which The Tab had privileged early access, written and approved in time to go live at the time reporting restrictions were lifted. This kind of story always resonates well with readers (ever-keen to see how their expensive university education compares to their peers’) — with a splash of Sheffield Hallam rivalry thrown in for good measure.
- You can de-stress with puppies next Tuesday
- It’s unusual for The Tab to run a preview piece such as this, but I knew that, if nothing else, photographs of puppies would prove popular!
- Domino’s on West Street has gone 24 hours
- This story generated a huge social-media reaction, becoming one of The Tab Sheffield‘s most ‘liked’ stories of all time on Facebook. I conducted the interview with the franchisee with plenty of time to spare, allowing him to speak to Domino’s HQ regarding speaking to ‘the media’, to ensure he wasn’t at risk of repercussions.
- ‘I travelled home from Sheffield via Berlin to save eight pounds’
- Despite huge interest in the story from national outlets, I managed to secure an exclusive comment for The Tab from the subject of this story.
- A Broomhill fire led to an evacuation on Whitham Road last night
- Fresher window art is a beautiful but dying phenomenon (feature)
- Caroline Everest search: Woman’s body found in River Porter
- Here’s what happened at the RAG Sleep Out In Solidarity
- Hundreds of Derwent freshers have been left without hot water for three days